write.here.write.now

So, I have to tell you about my lunch today

Two blocks from my house, the Desert Island Supply Company (DISCO) is having their big grand opening event for their offices in Woodlawn. Here’s more about them and what they do. 

Part of the celebration includes an all-day read-a-thon of The Hobbit. People take 5 minute time slots and read aloud to whoever happens to wander in. When I arrived, a young lady was already in the middle of her reading. Then a grade school lad picked up where she left off. He did a fine job, even pushing through a tough word like “appreciatively.” After him, a gentleman with a wonderfully rich voice took over. He didn’t even need the microphone. I regret now not taking a slot when it was offered.

But I spent my time watching a young man from the local high school drawing the most amazing portraits with a Pigma pen. Such a talent. And he was quick, too!

Then it was outside to spend some time visiting with guild friend Lillis and her group of Inglenook sewing ladies. I bought some tickets for their donation quilt and promised to work up a pattern for my diminutive over-the-shoulder purse that they admired. They are now holding their meetings at the DISCO offices. I think I’ll look into a way to spend a little time with them.

To cap it all off, I ordered an amazing burger from the Shindigs food truck and brought it home to enjoy.

How cool is that!?

Comments